August 21st is National Honey Bee Day. According to HoneyLove.org, “National Honey Bee Day was created to honor the insect responsible for more than 1/3 of the food we eat with beekeepers, beekeeping clubs and associations, and honey bee enthusiasts from all across the country. We take this opportunity to celebrate honey bees and recognize their contribution to our everyday lives as a means of protecting this critical species for future generations. We also pay homage to beekeepers, whose labors ensure we have bees to pollinate our crops. “
Their goals include:
1) Promotion and advancement of beekeeping.
2) Educate the public about honey bees and beekeeping.
3) Make the public aware of environmental concerns as they affect honey bees.
I love LOCAL, RAW honey, and eat it every day. Every day. I believe that is why I do not have seasonal allergies. Why buy local and raw?
- When commercial, industrialized honey is filtered many of the health benefits are lost due to the high temperatures.
- Local, raw honey has unique flavors, that will be lost when filtered and heated.
- To help with allergies, you need to have local, raw honey. This will insure that the honey has the allergens native to the area you live in.
- Bees that are shipped from elsewhere, and pollinate one crop is how commercial honey is made. This is completely unnatural and hard on bees. Local honey comes from bees that forage on many flowers and vegetables.
- Honey that you purchase locally is full of healthy ingredients, that will be lost in the industrial process.
- Buying local supports local beekeepers, not big commercial companies.
In honor of the honey bee, I have created this bee themed cards that that you can print out and share. There are 3 separate cards. They say “You’re so sweet, You’re the bees knees” and “Just Bee cause”
Just click on the link to download. 3 Separate cards. 4 to each page. Print and cut.
Enjoy! And remember to support your local beekeepers by buying local raw honey.