The current garden project I am working on is an apothecary garden. I want to make more tinctures, oils and salves for myself and for my business , so I have plans to fill it with a number of healing herbs. Like any herb garden it will need to be planted in full sun, and drain well. Any of the mints may need to be contained. Yarrow, and St. John’s Wort can be invasive, so I haven’t decided if I want to plant in one big bed, or use raised beds and containers.
Some plants I am considering include:
- Calendula (calendula officinalis)
- St. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
- Comfrey (symphytum officinale)
- Lemon Balm (melissa officinalis)
- Chamomile (Matricaria recutita )
- Passionflower (passiflora incarnata)
- Bee Balm (mondara didyma)
- Yarrow (achillia millefolium)
- Catnip or Catmint (nepeta cataria)
- Echinacea (echinachia augustifolia)
- Aloe Vera
Visit www.christopherhobbs.com for an herbal database, and to view pictures of the above plants.